Miami Writers Institute
The Miami Writers Institute is an annual creative writing conference produced by the Miami Book Fair that takes place May 6-9, 2020.
The conference features intensive writing workshops with bestselling authors, manuscript consultations with a literary agent and happy hour events. Writing workshops are limited to 15 students each, to allow for individualized attention. This year, Richard Blanco is the poetry workshop instructor, alongside a lineup for prose writers that includes Boris Fishman, R.O. Kwon, Ana Maria Shua and Bryan Washington. The scholarship is NOT limited to poetry only; fiction, nonfiction writers, and screenwriters are welcome to apply. The scholarship spot is for any workshop of your choice.
Each Miami Writers Institute Scholarship will include the following:
- One creative writing workshop with an award-winning author
- Hotel accommodations for the duration of the conference (up to 4 nights).
- Craft talks by all teaching faculty
- A publishing seminar
- Access to all additional Writers Institute events, including National Book Foundation’s 5 Under 35 Reading with Anelise Chen, Isabella Hammad, Johannes Lichtman, Bryan Washington, and Ashley Wurzbacher. Event moderated by National Book Foundation Awards Manager Anna Dobben.
- Continental breakfast Wednesday – Saturday
- Boxed lunch and Lunchtime Readings by faculty
- Access to the Hospitality Suite with complimentary snacks and beverages
- Access to the Writing Lounge equipped with Mac computers
- A Miami Writers Institute tote bag
To apply, submit the following materials to Marci Cancio-Bello at email@example.com with the subject line “Cave Canem Scholarship” before the deadline.
Cover letter (1 – 2 pages): Include contact information, workshop preference, and a description of why this opportunity would be of value to you and your writing life
Writing sample: Prose: 10 pages, paginated, double-spaced with 1-inch margins; Poetry: 3 poems of any length
Please note that the deadline has been extended to June 30, 2020.
Within one month of attending the conference, the selected participant is required to submit a one-page evaluative report to Cave Canem.
Questions? Contact Malcolm Tariq at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Miami Writers Institute.”